Recently, while trying to export / import a Divi Builder page, I received an error I hadn’t seen before:

This file should not be imported in this context.

A quick google led me to see that this was a problem others have been having. In reply to one such comment, Elegant Themes’ advise:

This means you are uploading the file to the wrong place, or you are uploading the wrong type of file… Go to Divi > Divi Library and click the “Import & Export” button. Also, be sure to unzip the file first and upload the .json file inside.

I was trying to export from a page and import to a blank page on another site, so there didn’t seem to be any particular problem with the place I was uploading the file to. While I could have tried uploading it to the Divi Library directly, I was pretty sure I should be able to import directly to the page, and it was something I wanted to do, so I figured I’d save the Divi Library upload as a last resort.

Looking at the file I had exported, it was of the right file type (.json), and was not zipped. However, when I opened the file, I realized it was completely empty. Clearly there was a problem with the export which needed to be sorted before the import could be expected to work. I tried reloading the page I wanted to export, and re-exporting it. However, the exported file was again empty.

I decided to try first saving the page as a layout on the original site (using Divi Builder’s “Save to Library” feature). After doing this, I tried exporting again. This time, the exported file contained the correct content and I was able to import it directly to the target site, without error. It seems Divi exports the layout a page is based on, rather than the content of the page itself, and so you must first create a layout from your page.

So if you are getting the same error message, try saving your page to the Divi Library prior to exporting it.

Another thing that I have found to affect whether or not the export works is the choice of filename for the exported layout. In one case, I noticed that if the filename I entered contained spaces or hyphens, the downloaded file would be empty. Simply changing the filename to a single word (e.g. “layout”) resulted in the download working correctly.